Hetzner provides us with our web hosting services (at no extra cost to you) and we believe that they really are the best choice in terms of service quality, stability, speed and price.
About Hetzner (Pty) Ltd
At Hetzner our priority is to provide reliable web hosting in South Africa. We do this by maintaining a stable global network and a secure hosting environment.
We own and operate our own data centres, enabling us to provide unrivalled reliability and uptime, and because we are not reliant on other companies, there are even more advantages:
- Instant access to servers
- Facility to reboot servers
- Ability to make hardware upgrades quickly and efficiently
- Capability to identify and fix problems at early stage
Hetzner provides a resilient and redundant network infrastructure. Our substantial bandwidth capacity allows us to accommodate spikes in traffic. Additionally, our low bandwidth utilisation allows for maximum uptime ensuring that our customers never experience network degradation.
Hetzner’s fully switched and collision free network ensures that data can be routed even in the event of device or link failure. Our cable routers are connected via a 100 MBit fibre optic cable to Verizon Business' backbone from where we have uncapped access to Verizon's local and international network. A second, redundant fibre optic cable follows a different path.
The reality of the greater Internet in South Africa is that there is no 100MBit path to any point of significance beyond Verizon Business' data centre. Essentially this means that Hetzner’s connection is never the bottleneck and that the size of the pipe is the lowest bandwidth of all the links that make up the connection from any point on the network to our router.
Verizon Business operates the largest global IP network, carrying over 50% of the world's Internet traffic. As a subsidiary of MCI, Verizon Business provides its South African customer base with a reliable and highly-available backbone.
Our Data Centres
Hetzner’s data centres, located in Cape Town and Johannesburg have been developed according to strict standards and include the following features:
- Full 100MBit fibre connection via Verizon Business' network backbone with a second redundant fibre connection to cater for the unlikely event that a cable is compromised
- Air conditioning banks to sufficiently cool the internal environment with additional redundancy should a unit fail
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) installed as well as a dedicated diesel power generator in case of an outage
- Fire control equipment with automated triggering functions
- 24 hour security and monitoring facilities (video surveillance, biometric access) with the main entrance manned 24/7 by security guards
The data centres are also equipped with server hardware, cables, routers, switches and racks which together form a robust internal network structure.
All critical systems (UPS, air conditioning, temperature ranges, managed servers etc.) are monitored 24/7/365 with notification by email and SMS to more than one support staff member including the technical manager.
Hetzner also offers a third server location option in Nuremberg, Germany which is connected to 7 international upstream providers – a 20 Gbit/s external connection to Noris Network, 10 Gbit/s to Deutsche Telekom, 10 Gbit/s to LambdaNet, 10 Gbit/s connection to DE-CIX and 10 Gbit/s to Tiscali, together with a 1 Gbit/s to KPN EuroRings and N-IX. The cumulative line capacity of these 7 upstream providers equals 62 Gbit